February 08, 2010

Bottles and Blankets and Boppys...Oh My!

Registering

Just a quick note for our readers.  We began the weighty task of registering for Miss Ella's goods this weekend.  After spending several hours standing on the unforgiving concrete floors of Target and Babies R Us, I have come to a serious conclusion.  The purpose of registering is not really to provide your new cherub with all of the necessities and delicacies he or she might need upon entering the world.  No, the true purpose of registering is to reveal to new parents just how completely inadequate and unprepared they are for this new journey of caring for and providing for said cherub.  I came to this realization after Matt asked for the 50th time, "Why do we need this" or "Why aren't we supposed to use this?"  To all of which I answered, "I don't know.  I read it in a book somewhere."  As I stood sweating in the bottle/breastfeeding aisle, feeling my blood pressure rise by the second, wondering which of the million bottles was best and which storage bags I was supposed to get, I decided to take a deep breath, walk away, and ask a girlfriend later what I should use. 

Don't get me wrong, we really are excited.  And I'm sure the feeling of inadequacy will fade by the time she's oh, 20.  Nonetheless, we welcome any advice on all that gear.  If you got something for your baby that you just loved, couldn't live without, please feel free to share.  Likewise, if there were things that were a total waste of time/money, feel free to share that too.

Sincerely,
Clueless in Colorado :)

6 comments:

  1. Here are some of my favorite things that we got for Eli and that I have used the most. (in no particular order)
    (1)video monitor (by summer) I love this because I can check on him during the night without having to go into his room and if he is crying I can see if something is really wrong or he is just working himself to sleep.
    (2) Baby Einstein Exersaucer (Eli has lived in this!!)
    (3) Swing
    (4)Baby bjorn carrier
    (5) Chicco Travel System (this is a little more $ than others, but so worth it! It is the top rated car seat)
    (6) Medela breast pump

    There is so much stuff out there that you can buy, but these were the most useful for us. Don't register for wipe warmer...these are a waste in my opinion. The baby could care less if the wipe is warm or not! :-)

    Good luck! All the baby really needs is love and food!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Avent bottles :) They work well for going between breastfeeding and bottle feeding.

    I agree in the wipe warmer--not necessary. Ditto for a bottle sterilizer. That's what you have a dishwasher for! We also never used the baby swing but many people swear by them.

    Don't sweat it. You're going to do great. Half the baby stuff is just marketing anyway. :) The important things you're already equipped with (warm arms, voice, ability to read to her, love, milk, etc.)! (Kristin)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I totally agree about how completely overwhelming it all is. As if thinking about bringing a tiny new life into the world and meeting her every need, you also have to figure everything else out at the same time! You guys are so on top of it though, and you can always return or go buy later if you change your mind.

    I love sleep sacks for sleeping, not for newborns, since they like swaddling, but for a little later, they're the best for over pj's.

    I would say you definitely also want a boppie, sleep positioner, Lansinoh breast milk bags, bottle drying rack, and some kind of bouncer seat. I also love the Bumbo, but you only use it for a few months. There are so many fun and great things that you can get once you figure out what the heck is going on. :)

    I wouldn't get the ultimate crib sheet or a sling ( I prefered baby bjorn). I also wouldn't register for too many blankets because tons of people buy those for you anyways and you don't really use them that much.

    I'll think of more advice and keep it coming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi honey, burp pads......of course it's been 28 years since I last held and cared for baby, so all those "named" above items were non-existant when you came along. A good, well made diaper bag (some don't hold up well with all the "stuff" you stuff in 'em).
    Believe me, this is just small unimportant stuff ......"don't sweat the small stuff". And as usual, people "in the know" will purchase for you two the things they thought were important....or at least tell you it's a must buy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, now I'm just getting out of hand but I have some more ideas... I prefer Pampers diapers...they seem to leak way less. Other favorite things are my Glamourmom nursing tank tops. I wear one almost everyday and night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I had to recommend one thing mine would be the Fisher-Price Precious Planet Happy Giraffe Bouncer (or one like it). That thing was my best friend for the first 3 months. After everyone left and I was the only one at home it was the only way I got anything done (and by anything I mean the necessities). It was where I would put her while I showered, went to the bathroom, made myself a meal (with the first you just don't want to leave their side usually). It was also the only place she would sleep for the first 3 months! I thought I was a bad Mom b/c she couldn't sleep in her bassinet...she just didn't like to lay flat. Now I have found out that a lot of babies do not like to lay completely flat and that a lot of my Mommy friends had to use the bouncer, boppy, or even car seat to get their babies to sleep! This only lasted until 3 months when she was a little bigger I started putting her on her back in the bassinet. Now I'm trying to get her to sleep in her crib. THIS WAS LILY'S PREFERENCE THOUGH, EVERY BABY IS DIFFERENT AND ELLA MAY NOT DO THIS! I just noticed she slept better when she wasn't completely flat at first. I guess it was just so abrupt to go from a nice comfy womb to a harder flat surface. All that to say I LOVED MY BOUNCER!! Love ya Kate...I cannot wait to see you as a Mamma...YOU AND MATT WILL BE GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete